One of our favourite childrenswear brands Jack & Jillaroo, has recently launched its new summer collection, featuring a gorgeous collection of organic cotton swaddle muslins, cotton baby blankets as well as a range of new single and reversible dribble bib designs, guaranteed to make little dribble monsters look instantly stylish.
Our favourite has to be the honey bee reversible bib, perfect for the summer months and ideal for either boys and girls. To celebrate Jack & Jillaroo’s new range and given that the honey bee bib has proven a hit with Otto (and me) we’ve come up with a new cake recipe, any excuse for cake really!
Packed full of floral honey, zesty lemon and fresh rosemary from the garden, we’ve tarted up the humble lemon drizzle cake and given it a bit of a makeover, perfect for any summer tea break – come rain or shine, but most likely rain!
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 180c and grease an 8 inch round loose based tin.
2. In a food mixer, I use a Magimix but feel free to use a good old fashioned bowl, a wooden spoon and some elbow grease, whisk together 1 cup of caster sugar with 220g of unsalted butter. Add in three eggs, one at a time and mix everything together.
3. Next sift in three cups of plain flour and 2 tsp. of baking powder and fold all the ingredients together again using your mixer.
4. Finally fold in 2tsp. of vanilla extract, 2 generous tsp. of fresh chopped rosemary and the zest of one lemon and one cup of full fat milk.
5. Transfer the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake at 180C for 50 – 60 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown.
6. While the cake is baking, make the lemon honey drizzle by adding the juice of one lemon and 6 tsp. of strong floral honey to a pan and on a low heat gently mix together for no more than thirty seconds.
7. When the cake is ready remove from the oven and while still warm and in the cake tin prick the top of the cake with a fork and pour the lemon honey drizzle over the top and garnish with a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Best eaten warm.