As it’s now December and the countdown to Christmas has officially begun, for the next few weeks you can expect an explosion of festive flavours coming from the Cross kitchen. This is the month to unleash all your favourite foods, crack open a few bottles of fizz and make batches of mulled wine, while friends and family gather around the kitchen table to indulge and Michael Buble sings in the background.
To kick things off and ease your taste buds in and your waste line out gently this quick festive bread requires no kneading or resting, but still tastes scrumptious – that’s the beauty of baking quick breads that don’t require yeast. However they should be eaten quickly while still fresh.
With hints of cloves, cinnamon and orange this is a great bread for breakfast time eaten warm when it has just come out of the oven or toasted, slathered in marmalade.
Orange, Cinnamon & Clove Bread
200g of self raising flour
100g of caster sugar
1 tsp. of baking powder
100g of semi skimmed milk
40g of unsalted butter
1 tsp. of orange zest
Juice of one large orange
1 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1 tsp. of ground cloves
The Baking Bit….
- Pre heat the oven to 200C and grease a loaf tin using butter.
- Gently melt the butter in the microwave for 20 seconds and using a wooden spoon beat in the sugar. Sift in the flour and the baking powder and fold all the ingredients together.
- Add each egg into the mixture individually, mixing again everything together followed by the milk.
- Next add in the juice of one orange, plus the zest, followed by the ground cinnamon and ground cloves. Fold everything together until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 50 – 60 minutes.