In the week leading up to our wedding, I may indeed be cursing myself for thinking baking my own wedding favours would be a good idea. However the thought of mouthfuls of lavender flavoured shortbread is just too irresistible. While the men enjoy a sly dram, the ladies can devour (or share) my shortbread.
So in the meantime as I attempt to reach perfection I’ll continue to practice my recipe, while Geoff can enjoy “trialling” each batch! What’s more there is no smell to beat that of lavender and after baking a few batches of this shortbread you’re kitchen will smell heavenly.
100g caster sugar
200g plain flour
150g unsalted butter
2 tbsp of lavender extract
Extra sugar to sprinkle over the hearts before they are baked
The Baking Bit…
1. Pre heat your oven to 180c.
2. You’ll need to call upon the heavy machinery for this recipe, so grab your food mixer. Dice the butter into squares and drop into your food mixer along with the sugar and sift in the flour.
3. Next add in the lavender and mix everything together until a soft dough is formed.
4. Remove the dough from the mixture, roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and then place in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5. Remove from the fridge and using a rolling pin on a floured surface roll out the dough until it’s the thickness of a one pound coin. Use a heart shape cookie cutter to make the heart shapes.
6. Place on a baking tray, prick each one a couple of times with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until golden in colour.