I love this time of year. The British berry has just burst back onto the scene. My punnet of choice is that containing the mouth-watering and juicy strawberry, which also means Wimbledon is underway. While the hopes of the nation are resting on the shoulders of Andy Murray as he strives to make it to Centre court next weekend to claim his first victory in this historical contest, the spotlight is also very much on the humble strawberry. Over the course of the tournament 200,000 glasses of Pimms will be drunk and 7000 litres of cream and 28,000kg of strawberries will be consumed!
For those who will be watching the action on the TV and are looking for the perfect match snack, then I reckon if you serve up my strawberry and coconut cake you’ll rally up a few friends to join you while you cheer on your favourite players to the next round.
Strawberry & Coconut Cake
250g plain flour
120g caster sugar
120g desiccated coconut
1tsp baking powder
400ml of thick coconut milk
180g of chopped fresh strawberries
1tsp of vanilla paste
The Baking Bit…
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C and grease one 2lb loaf tin.
2. Sieve the flour into a glass bowl and add in the sugar and the baking powder and using a wooden spoon mix all the ingredients together.
3. Add in the coconut milk and mix into the dry ingredients before adding in the chopped strawberries. If you think the mixture requires more liquid add a splash of semi skimmed milk.
4. Finally stir in the vanilla paste and pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
5. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. Leave to cool before slicing (and it will be gooey in the middle). Serve with Pimms or tea and more fresh strawberries!